Distributed transactions (two-phase commint) without DB links

  • From: Alexander Gorbachev <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:54:44 +0100

Hi all,

We are facing the problem with design of a new application.
Historically, we have been successful in pursuing our rules that DB
links are not acceptable in our environment. Until now, we've managed
to follow this rule and stay "link-free".

Developers of a new project reqire DB links. The problem is that
project deadlines are very pressing and we might be forced to comply
with their requirements for distributed transactions on the database
tier. I don't think that there will be any TP monitor in use so
probably no help from this side.

I have briefly reviewed Oracle documentation and found that there are
some OCI functions for implementation of distributed transactions. As
far as I understand it's possible to apply them on OCI client side (to
be precise, I couldn't find that it's not possible so I assumed) so
that a binary can open two sessions and commit globally.

I would be very interesting if someone could share any experince with
that. White papers, feasibility, complexity, problems, etc.

To define the problem again:
We need a way to connect from application tier to two (or more)
databases and perform global transaction with two-phase commit.

Thanks in advance!

--
Best regards,
Alex Gorbachev