Displaying and comparing large, ugly explain plans

  • From: cam <kadmon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 13:49:28 +0100

Hello all,

I frequently find myself dealing with large execution plans with several
hundred steps and complex indenting - I'm sure most of you do too. I am
wondering if I am missing out on any useful tools for viewing and, more
particularly, diffing these? In general I am doing this at a console and
therefore working with the output of one of the dbms_xplan.display
functions so although I know there are some reasonably good GUI tools, I
don't often have access to them. Standard text diffs tools  don't handle
this well.

Even when I do have access to a GUI, most do not seem to support diffs
between plans and I frequently find I am looking at very subtle variations
in large plans. For example, Oracle SQL Developer supports visual plan
diffs I believe, but only if fetched by the GUI i.e. it cannot compare
several already in the AWR or the library cache.

Any pointers to other tools/scripts or suggestions of best practices?

Thanks,
cam