Re: Disks not detected during ASM setup 11gR2

  • From: Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sundarmahadevan82@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2011 21:50:10 -0600

Hello Sundar -

Oracle has very good documentation for the database and ASM.  I think
that you will find most of the answers you are looking for in those
documents.

For example, the first sentence of chapter 1 in the ASM admin guide
says: "Oracle ASM is a volume manager and a file system for Oracle
database files that supports single-instance Oracle Database and Oracle
Real Application Clusters (Oracle RAC) configurations."  As you can see
from this sentence, ASM *is* a filesystem and volume manager - so
generally you would give it raw disks or partitions and it would work on
those.
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e16102/asmcon.htm

I would suggest reading these docs since you will find many answers
there.  Also, most people on this particular list assume familiarity
with the introductory docs... you will find a lot more help after you're
familiar with them.

To answer your most recent questions:
1) There is no "mount point" or "fstab" involved with ASM at all.
2) There is no filesystem involved with ASM at all.  (There are some
advanced tricks to run ASM on top of a filesystem, but this is not
normal and would only be used in rare circumstances.)
3) Logical Volumes do not have mount points.  You can create a logical
volume and change the device node so that the oracle user can access it
- and you will trick ASM into thinking it's a disk.  There are a number
of companies that do this on production systems for various reasons, but
unless you *need* to then I don't think you should use both LVM and ASM
together.
4) The best place to start learning is the Oracle documentation itself.
You can start at http://tahiti.oracle.com

You don't need to be an expert, but you do need to have a very good
understanding of each of these terms: disk, LUN, unix device, partition,
volume manager, filesystem.

You're on the right track - I've helped lots of people get oracle and
ASM running on their laptops and I think it can help a lot with learning
how everything works.  :)  Good luck!

-Jeremy

--
http://www.ardentperf.com