Diskgroups for redo, controlfiles, and temp?

  • From: "Herring, David" <HerringD@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 09:31:33 -0500

Folks,

Has anyone ever run into blogs that have demostrated large performance gains,
when on a SAN, by splitting out redo, controlfiles, and temp onto their own
diskgroups?  I don't recall ever seeing this as a best practice and in this
periodic discussion brought up to our group I believe has agreed.  I'm getting
pressure from an outside resource to split out these file types for performance
reasons yet haven't received anything specific to explain why and the arguments
presented have been high level and similar to arguments from long ago on older
hardware.

Dave Herring