RE: Disk failover

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mschmitt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 16:27:41 -0400

Were they possibly referring to things like missing registry entries or
incompatible (or missing) Oracle binaries, such as older versions and the
like?

Even on Unix you would need to make sure that the "oracle" user and "dba"
groups existed and that path setups were correct. It helps if the uids and
gids match so if your database files are on file systems you don't have to
chown them. Also likely some things not on the disk set for the database per
se like tnsnames.ora and listener.ora might need updates.

All that said, this is a pretty normal thing to do, and it is not rocket
science to prepare a server to accept a new database entirely contained on
freshly mounted disks. This has pretty much worked since at least Oracle V5.
If I recall correctly the host name was part of the password encryption
prior to V5 and that caused problems.

mwf