RE: Disk Device Busy (%) - What exactly is this?

  • From: "Taylor, Chris David" <ChrisDavid.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'cichomitiko@xxxxxxxxx'" <cichomitiko@xxxxxxxxx>, 'Guillermo Alan Bort' <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 10:29:59 -0600

I don't think that actually 'accurate' though.

There are real IO limits on the following:
1.) LUNS themselves (how many disks in the stripe, RAID levels)
2.) IO Controller Card between the server and the LUN or disk

NOW, the question that 'should be' asked is:

"How does my OS determine the IO capacity of my storage?"

Imagine if the OS does a statistics gathering on the IO subsystem (much like
Oracle does on tables) then it can possibly "know" within a reasonable margin
of error what the expected IO bandwidth is for the storage system (regardless
of whether or not it is a LUN or a DISK).

So, does ANYONE know how the OS (Windows, Linux etc) tries to determine the
maximum IO available across a disk or LUN?

Chris Taylor
Sr. Oracle DBA
Ingram Barge Company
Nashville, TN 37205

"Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort."
-- John Ruskin (English Writer 1819-1900)

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and
may also be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify the
sender immediately and delete the contents of this message without disclosing
the contents to anyone, using them for any purpose, or storing or copying the
information on any medium.