Re: Disaster Recovery for datawarehouse

  • From: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: adar666@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 22:38:48 +0000

It really all comes down to business and availability requirements

On Nov 20, 2007 11:12 AM, Yechiel Adar <adar666@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You have to make a difference between 3 types of DR:
> 1) Hardware failure, the server blew a gasket.
>    Use RAC.

or keep a fresh stock of gaskets.  or have a replacement agreement with a
gasket manufacturer.

2) Database failure, someone erased some data files.
>    Clone the database.

oops they erased the backup as well and the tape drive has always been a bit
dodgy - better get last weeks tape back.

> 3) Site failure, Katerina has entered the building.
>    Use storage with remote online copy to another site many miles away.

the ceo/cfo/dba are all dead. the customers are largely dead. Does anyone
actually care any more. Or can it all wait until the more important issues
are resolved.

Ok so all of my examples are tongue in cheek, but they all *might* be
perfectly viable options (especially for a decision support system such as a
DW).

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA