RE: Disaster Recovery: Oracle Data Guard or Storage Snapshots?

  • From: Upendra N <nupendra@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 23:34:04 -0400

Thanks for catching this Niall. You are correct! In the past we could activate
the database in the DR SAN store as a "failover" environment, maximum duration
is 10 days/calendar year (not 15 as I specified), as long as production is also
taken down at the same time.

I went back and looked at the version I had (dated Mar 2009), following is the
verbiage I see: (nothing about the shared storage)

"If the primary node fails, one of the nodes in the cluster acts as the
primary node. In this type of environment, Oracle permits licensed
Oracle Database customers to run the Database on an unlicensed spare
computer for up to a total of ten separate days in any given calendar
year."

From the document you sent (Apr 2010):
"In this type of environment, Oracle permits its licensed Technology customers
to run the Technology Programs (listed on the Technology Price List) on an
unlicensed spare computer for up to a total of ten separate days in any given
calendar year. The above right only applies when a number of machines are
arranged in a cluster and share one disk array."
Oracle seems to have added the "shared disk" verbiage to close the loop-hole.

Thanks
-Upendra

Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 04:06:02 +0100
Subject: Re: Disaster Recovery: Oracle Data Guard or Storage Snapshots?
From: niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx
To: nupendra@xxxxxxxxxxx
CC: fuadar@xxxxxxxxx; thiagomaciel@xxxxxxxxx; oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 3:03 AM, Upendra N <nupendra@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If you go with Data guard you need to have Oracle Enterprise Edition (hope you
already know this..) and your data guard site should also be licensed similar
to production with all the Enterprise Edition options. If you use SAN based
replication you may be able avoid purchasing the Oracle licenses as long as you
use your data guard site <15 days in a year. Oracle keeps changing these
policies, you may want to review the current licensing document if you choose
this approach.

That's not my reading of the current policy!
http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/pricing/data-recovery-licensing-070587.pdf

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA