Re: Disaster Recovery Exercise - correction

  • From: Charlotte Hammond <charlottejanehammond@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 02:53:15 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Tony,

I'm not sure if this is all you need, but have you
tried:

ALTER DATABASE RENAME FILE 'X:\old\redo.log' TO
'Y:\new\redo.log';

For all your redo logs before doing an open reset
logs.

Charlotte

<oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>               cc:
>>               Subject: Disaster Recovery Exercise -
correction

>>Hi all,
>>
>>I'm just playing with a test database and trying
different DR scenarios.  My d
atabase is in archive log mode.

>>I'm simulating a total loss of online redo logs.  I
have only 2 logfiles and I
've put both of them on a thumb drive.

>>Please ignore the last post, I missed something out,
sorry.  I'll try again...

>>I've made a full online / hot backup (ts begin
backup; copy dbf; ts end backup
).  I have all archived redos online.

>>So far:
>>
>>a)    pulled the thumb drive out (sorry Windows
people, but itrs a good way to
 simulate a disk failure) - so loose online redos
>>b)    shutdown abort
>>c)    startup and try to open, get the error that
the redo are unavailable.

>>Normally here, I'd have to make sure the disk that
failed was operational read
y for my "reset redos". Then recover the datafiles
from backup and do a "recover
 database until cancel", CANCEL, "open database
resetlogs"

>>But,  I want to assume that the drive that failed is
totally buggered (dead, k
aput etc for the non-English out there :-) ), so I
proceed as follows:

>>d)   add two new redo logs on another drive.
>>d.1) droped the inactive redo log, leavig the
active, but missing redo log.
>>e)   restore the dbf files from backup
>>f)    recover database until cancel... RETURN,
RETURN, CANCEL (at missing arch
ive redo)

>>This is where my knowledge lets me down... I wanted
to open reset logs, but ob
viously Oracle wants to re-create the active redo log
(that was on the dead driv
e).  I tried to drop it, but (again obviously) Oracle
complains that its require
d for recovery.
>>I tried (just as a hack, rather than expecting it to
work) to clear the redo l
og, but that fails as Oracle tries to recreate the
missing log... but again, the
 drive no longer exists.

>>How do I tell Oracle that I'm trying to do a Point
In Time recovery and to for
ce the drop of the active redo log?

>>Cheers
>>Tony
>>PS : Oracle 9.2.0.7 on WinNT
>>PPS : please no posts about how stupid my setup is.
I know that, its just an
exercise in DR.  Thanks.

http://farechase.yahoo.com