Disaster Recovery Exercise

  • From: <t_adolph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 10:58:42 +0100

Hi all,

I'm just playing with a test database and trying different DR scenarios.  My
database is in archive log mode.

I'm simulating a total loss of online redo logs.  I have only 2 logfiles and
I've put both of them on a thumb drive.

I've made a full online / hot backup (ts begin backup; copy dbf; ts end
backup).  I have all archived redos online.

So far:

a)    pulled the thumb drive out (sorry Windows people, but itrs a good way to
simulate a disk failure) - so loose online redos
b)    shutdown abort
c)    startup and try to open, get the error that the redo are unavailable.

Normally here, I'd have to make sure the disk that failed was operational ready
for my "reset redos". Then recover the datafiles from backup and do a "recover
database until cancel", CANCEL, "open database resetlogs"

But,  I want to assume that the drive that failed is totally buggered (dead,
kaput etc for the non-English out there :-) ), so I proceed as follows:

d)   add to new redo logs on another drive.
e)   restore dbf from backup
f)    recover database until cancel... RETURN, RETURN, CANCEL (at missing
archive redo)

This is where my knowledge lets me down... I wanted to open reset logs, but
obviously Oracle wants to re-create the redo logs that was on the dead drive.
I tried to drop it, but (again obviously) Oracle complains that its required
for recovery.

How do I tell Oracle that I'm trying to do a Point In Time recovery and to
force the drop of the lost redo?

Cheers
Tony
PS : Oracle 9.2.0.7 on WinNT
PPS : please no posts about how stupid my setup is.  I know that, its just an
exercise in DR.  Thanks.