RE: Disable logging in tablespace vs using hidden parameter _disable_logging

  • From: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <juancarlosreyesp@xxxxxxxxx>, "Li-Shan Cheng" <exriscer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 13:53:37 -0500

Juan,

Setting NOLOGGING on a tablespace does not, in and of itself, do
anything.  That setting becomes the default for any segments created in
the tablespace.  Further, NOLOGGING does not have an effect on all
operations.  Actually, it's quite a small subset of operations that
NOLOGGING will have an effect on.  Some of these include:  index
creation, index rebuild, insert /*+ APPEND */, just to name a few.  It's
important to understand NOLOGGING and how it works, so that you may
understand the recovery implications.  Blocks loaded using NOLOGGING
will NOT be recoverable till a backup is taken after the NOLOGGING
operation is complete.  More details on NOLOGGING can be found at:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/nologging.html

_disable_logging, on the other hand, says "I don't care about this
database, don't do any logging, if the database crashes, it's worthless,
game reset, start over."  This is quite different from, and far more
dangerous than, NOLOGGING operations.

Hope that helps,

-Mark

--
Mark J. Bobak
Senior Oracle Architect

"There are 10 types of people in the world:  Those who understand
binary, and those who don't."