RE: Direct I/O, better performance?

  • From: "Gogala, Mladen" <Mladen.Gogala@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'nsouto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <nsouto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Oracle-L@Freelists. Org (E-mail)" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 11:14:38 -0400

The primary benefit of using direct I/O on a unix system is using less
memory. Direct I/O
bypasses buffer cache which is dynamic on the  most of modern Unix (and
Unix-like systems,
for Linux fans) systems. If you have never had any problems with memory,
you're unlikely
to see any benefits. You can even notice a slowdown for the jobs that are
mainly read-only
because by using direct I/O, you eliminated the file system prefetch and
caching effects.
If your database has 1,000 online  users, you definitely do want direct I/O,
or each and
every process will cache its small part of DB files in both kernel memory
(buffer cache)
and SGA.

--
Mladen Gogala