Difficult / Impossible Request

  • From: Scott Canaan <srcdco@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 19:13:11 +0000

We have been given a .dbf file by a sys admin that says that he needs us to be
able to recover the data that's in the file.  Apparently, there was a problem
with the original system that the database was on and he could only save the
one .dbf file.  All he knows about it is that it was Oracle 9i, not even which
release of 9i.  He does not have the system tablespace, only the application
data tablespace, assuming that the .dbf file contains all of that.  I'm not
even sure what O/S it was, other than a flavor of Windows.
We have not been able to come up with a way to read this .dbf file.  Does
anyone have any idea of how to get this data into a database or a way to get
the raw data out of the file?

Thank you,

Scott Canaan '88 (srcdco@xxxxxxx<mailto:srcdco@xxxxxxx>)
(585) 475-7886 - work                (585) 339-8659 - cell
"Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it."
- Tom Lehrer