RE: Differential incremental backups - Do you really use them?

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Storey, Robert (DCSO)" <RStorey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 11:49:17 -0700

A "yearly" backup is just the same as any other full backup except for two
differences - the time of year it is taken, and the retention policy.  Our
normal daily backups are only retained for 35 days, but retention is set to 7
years on a "yearly" backup, and the yearly backup is taken at a specific time
as determined by the customer, usually right after the close of their fiscal
year.  It is for IRS purposes as well as if the customer ever has any need to
keep all archive logs for 7 years.  Archive logs are only kept for 35 days in
order to support point-in-time recovery to any time in the past 35 days, but
for the monthly and yearly backups, only the archive logs required to recover
the full backup to its completion time are kept (the databases are backed up
with the RMAN command "backup database including archivelogs").  We would never
try to restore an old monthly or yearly backup and recover it to the current
point in time - we would instead restore our most recent full backup, then
apply the most recent cumulative incremental, and then apply logs from there.
If for some reason our last full was not available, then we'd still be able to
fall back to any of the previous full backups for the past 35 days and apply
all logs since then.  If for some reason we couldn't access any of our last 4-5
full backups, then we'd be unable to complete full recovery, but that's why we
constantly monitor our backups and regularly perform test restores to ensure
that they are recoverable.

Regards,
Brandon

From: Storey, Robert (DCSO) [mailto:RStorey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]

If I read your schedule right, you have a yearly backup? Are you setting a time
frame so that you only backup the database from a scn to another scn, based on
the year??  Why would you do that? I'm just curious how you are doing a
"yearly" backup.