Different date formats between thin and thick clients

  • From: Sandra Becker <sbecker6925@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 12:04:30 -0700

Platform - IBM s/390
OS - SUSE Linux 10
Oracle - EE 10.2.0.4

We have been moving our application from 9.2 thick client to 11.2 thin
client.  Along the way we broke parts of the application because the date
format is different depending on the client used.  The suggestion is to use
an after logon trigger to set the date format correctly but that in turn
will break something else.  The application is pretty convoluted and badly
documented so we're not sure we know every place that will break with a
logon trigger.  Every piece of the app logs into the database with the same
userid.

Here's what a developer gave me from a test he ran to show the format
differences:

                     | using oci 9.2             | using thin
NLS_DATE_FORMAT         | Mon DD YYYY HH24:MI:SS       | DD-MON-RR

Our latest brainstorm produced the following plan:

1.  Create a new database user to be used by ONLY the piece of the
application that is currently broken.  This piece of the app has only 1
function, a very limited scope.
2.  Create an after logon trigger for the new userid to correctly set the
date format.
3.  Make the necessary application configuration changes to login to the
database with the new userid.
4.  Test, test, test, and test again.

Does anyone see any problems with this approach or any suggestions?

--
Sandy
Transzap, Inc.