RE: Differences between Oracle and Progress, actually starting point for considering any migration from Oracle to anything else...

  • From: "Jeremiah Wilton" <jeremiah@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <nigel_cl_thomas@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 08:36:35 -0700

A brief look at the tuning section Progress OpenEdge RDBMS manual reveals
that it also sports a sort of wait event interface, making it competitive
with Oracle.  I had to read it several times, because I thought "stopwatch"
was an OpenEdge technical term.  I was wrong.

From the Database Essentials manual:

http://www.psdn.com/library/servlet/KbServlet/download/1906-102-2517/gsdbe.p
df

Collecting your baseline statistics

Once you have determined what items you want to benchmark, you can plan your
strategy. You can modify the application code to collect this data, which is
the most accurate method, but it is also time consuming and costly. An
easier way to perform data collection is to time the operations on a
stopwatch. This is fairly accurate and easy to implement. To determine the
best timing baseline for each task, perform timing in isolation while
nothing is running on the system. When timing baselines have been
established, repeat the task during hours of operation to establish your
under-load baselines.

Absolutely hilarious.

:-)

Regards