Re: Difference between ALTER SYSTEM SET EVENTS and init.ora parameter?

  • From: fairlie rego <fairlie_r@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rich.Jesse@xxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 19:24:58 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Rich,

  The only difference that I know of is that the processstate will not be
dumped for processes already spawned before this comand is issued  should they
encounter the error.
e.g if dbwr encounters 6500 then the processstate of dbwr will not be dumped.
For any new process spawned its state would be dumped if it encounters an
ora-6500.

- Fairlie

"Jesse, Rich" <Rich.Jesse@xxxxxx> wrote:
  Howdy all,

I have a support tech telling me that:

alter system set events '6500 trace name processstate level 10';

will NOT produce the same trace file as setting:

event= "6500 trace name processstate level 10"

in the init.ora and bouncing the 9.2.0.5.0 instance. The tech's unable
to explain what the difference is, however. I tried testing this by
setting event 1652 as above and running a cartesian product with an
ORDER BY. The trace was created just fine from what I can see. I can't
justify bouncing a production instance because a tech says so (and no
way in hell I will without explanation).

Anyone have any ideas what the difference might be, if any?

TIA!
Rich

          Fairlie Rego
Senior Oracle Consultant