Re: Development environment for Oracle RAC

  • From: Dan Norris <dannorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx, oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 06:57:24 -0800 (PST)

I didn't see a reply to this yet, so I'll give it a shot.

Most of the development environments I've seen at customer sites have had
hardware configurations similar to the production environment, but usually
fewer nodes, fewer CPUs and less RAM. For example, a production 3-node cluster
with each system having 4 cores and 16 Gb RAM was paired with a development
cluster having 2 nodes, 2 cores each and 8 Gb RAM each. While they still lack
any environment to do load/stress testing on, at least they have an environment
that should behave similarly with respect to functionality. Dev usually used
storage similar to the production environment. If not the same array, another
one just like it or maybe a little smaller, but used the same interface (iscsi,
FC, or NAS).

I've seen lots of test/demo clusters built using VMs, but even the development
clusters in all the corporate environments I've seen have been real hardware on
real storage.

The most expensive part of every cluster in every case will likely be the
Oracle licensing. Development environments are not free--they must be licensed
too. Most sites tend to use named users on development since the dev team is
relatively small. You'll have to work out the formula to figure out which
option is best (cheapest) for your environment.

Dan