Re: Developer question

  • From: Subodh Deshpande <deshpande.subodh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ChrisDavid.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 23:28:24 +0530

Yes Chiris,
so you mean to say that is there any utility that will inform whether there
is any error in the syntax while writing sql query and also such utility
should inform about the correctness of the objects used..etc..

I think there is no such tool..that can do it for you..I also felt
necessary of such tool when I used to work as developer and application
maintenance support team member..

but suppose you want to prepare script to say rebuilt indexes, count (*)
from tables..or compiling objects etc..
then you can prepare such scripts using sql*plus or toad kind of tool..

thanks and take care...subodh

On 5 December 2011 21:06, Taylor, Chris David <
ChrisDavid.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm forwarding this to the list because I don't know an answer off the top
> of my head and Google isn't being much help due to the nature of the search.
> Developer wants to know if you can prepare a statement in a string
> variable like 'execute someproc();' and check the validity of the statement
> without executing it. (PARSE it only)
>
> I *thought* there was a way in Oracle to parse a statement without
> executing it but I can't figure it out at the moment.
>

> Chris Taylor
> Sr. Oracle DBA
> Ingram Barge Company
> Nashville, TN 37205
>
> "Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent
> effort."
> -- John Ruskin (English Writer 1819-1900)
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential
> and may also be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please
> notify the sender immediately and delete the contents of this message
> without disclosing the contents to anyone, using them for any purpose, or
> storing or copying the information on any medium.
>

> --
> //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l

TRUTH WINS AT LAST, DO NOT FORGET TO SMILE TODAY