Re: Determine Record Creation Date Without Audit Turned On

  • From: Daniel Fink <daniel.fink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Chris.Langston@xxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 09:51:42 -0600

Short answer - not from the data dictionary.

Long answer - without specific auditing or timestamps as part of the row, you cannot query the database to locate these records. However, you might be able to use logminer to locate the insert statements IF the redo log information is still available. I have not heard much about log miner in the last few years, so I'm not sure what is available with 10g.

Are there any transaction logs from the application that would be of help?

--
Daniel Fink

Oracle Performance, Diagnosis, Data Recovery and Training

OptimalDBA    http://www.optimaldba.com
Oracle Blog   http://optimaldba.blogspot.com

Lost Data?    http://www.ora600.nl/introduction.htm

Langston, Chris wrote:
All,

We have a user that needs to do cleanup on a table in a 10.2 instance
and wants to remove rows in a table based on when the record was created
but there is no creation date as part of the record entry. Without
having auditing turned on, is there a way to do determine this from the
data dictionary tables and, if so, which ones. I'm a rather new DBA and
not well versed in Oracle's data dictionary tables. All of my searching
for keeps directing me to information about auditing.
The primary DBA for the application is on vacation for the rest of the
month and I don't know that much about the application.

Any direction or source of documentation that would explain this will be
much appreciated.
Chris Langston