Re: Designing a DBA interview process to validly measure candidate abilities.

  • From: goran bogdanovic <goran00@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fmhabash@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 23:27:13 +0200

this two traits are quite important and not related strictly to DBA work
... and they are equally applied to any type of job.
If we get a candidate which have them developed, great ... lucky you ;-)
But how candidate developed them? On his/her own (natural talent) or maybe
some other way?
On the other hand, the responsibility of managers and team-leads is (among
others) to develop this two traits in each team member.
I am a supporter of the idea that each (well, almost each) person has the
potential to be a high-performer ... self-directed and self-motivated.
That person needs direction & coaching from me to begin developing his/her
full potential.
So, the key word is 'potential' ... that's what I try to drill-out during
interview and this requires your ability as interviewer to spot it.

Try to combine both technical and non-technical questions ... construct a
situation in which he/she was never been (even simple life related one) and
ask him/her to find the 'way out'.
This can be DBA-work related but I usually construct a non DBA-work related
one ... you can be then very surprised by candidates answers.

Interviewer reminds me of Sport Scout ... ;-)