Re: Designer Question - Arc

  • From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Surendra (WFD-FK)'" <Surendra.Tirumala@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 14:50:49 +0100

 Don't you rather think that you have three tables A1, A2 and A3 with FKs
to,respectively, B, C and D which are all three subtypes of A, which means
that their PKs are non-overlapping sets and are also FKs referencing A ?
Regards,

Stephane Faroult

RoughSea Ltd
http://www.roughsea.com

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 08:10 , 'Tirumala, Surendra (WFD-FK)'
<Surendra.Tirumala@xxxxxx> sent:

Hello All,

I have a child table "A" which has three mutually exclusive FKs to three
different PKs(on tables "B","C" and "D").
Concluding that this is a straight forward case to use Arc concept in
Designer, I have compelted the design.
Now I am working on enforcing the mutually exclusiveness.
As "Generate TAPI" gives some skeleton code for this purpose,
can anyone please let me know if you have evaluated this code and used it?

I am not quite sure how far I should go.
To begin with, I am thinking of using some simple check constraints to check
only one of the three columns is NOT NULL
and others are NULL.

Please share some thoughts.

Thanks,
Surendra Tirumala