Re: Design Question

  • From: Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jaykash@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 14:53:29 -0500

I was once involved in this sort of operation for a major medical software
company.  Many of the advantages and disadvantages have already been
mentioned.  Another advantage of a single table is that you can restrict
changes and set up a server piece on the application server with the task of
populating the code values on the server side without even going to the
database.

There are other some things to keep in mind, like you might want to identify
the set of values that the encoded values belong to in your decode table
(gender, credit card type) for example, and you might have local and
universal display values.

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 2:30 PM, Jay Kash <jaykash@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Tuning for performance is often feasible, but correcting bad data can get
> really messy.
> What good is bad data that performs pretty well!

Andrew W. Kerber