Re: Dell-Oracle-Linux: Anyone else run this...because its not working for us!

  • From: Thomas Day <tomday2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Marquez, Chris" <cmarquez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 15:01:38 -0500

We have a non-clustered, RAID 0 development machine.  We have 5
databases up on it but only 6 or 7 uses access any of the databases.

One of the databases was under a heavy performance test, but it was
not the database that had the problem.

The problem was not with the storage media.  A 10 hour surface scan
produced no errors.

My opinion is that the controller is not up to the task of keeping all
of the datafiles updated with Oracle's point-in-time requirement.  My
understanding is that Oracle updates the controlfiles and the
datafiles with a "heartbeat" counter so that Oracle will know that the
datafiles are good.  Under certain circumstances, this seems to be
beyond the ability of the controller (to get all these counters
written in a timely manner).

That's just my understanding of the problem.  I'm certainly open to
enlightenment.  If there's a way to ensure that this problem can be
prevented I'd love to learn it.  Dell didn't offer any encouragement.