Re: Delete Datafile and Recover DB Without Using Backup?

  • From: Alexander Gorbachev <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mkb125@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 22:31:23 +0100

If this is a new datafile and you have all archive logs since the
moment of datafile creation, you can recreate is as new in Oracle and
recover. ALTER DATABASE CREATE DATAFILE ... AS NEW or something like
that.

Another idea is that on UNIX i-node is still open and the space is not
reclaimed back. I have seen that Oracle is still able to access a file
for a while after deletion on HP-UX. However, it starts barking at
some point - don't know what's the trigger. Unfortunately, I don't
know if you can "restore" deleted file while i-node is still open.

Alex