Re: Delete Datafile and Recover DB Without Using Backup?

  • From: mkb <mkb125@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 09:11:53 -0800 (PST)

With linux ext2 file systems, this is possible using
debugfs.  This won't work with the newer ext3 file
system though
(see
www.linuxmafia.com/faq/Filesystems/ext3-no-undeletion.html
for further info on why).

There is a lot of information out there on whether
this can be done or not.  Basically my question comes
down to "is there a unix undelete feature".  And
basically the answer is "no" unless you really, really
know the particular *nix file system architecture you
have and are able to write code to hook into the
kernel (ala Norton Tools for Unix circa early 90's
which had this feature).

Aliasing rm to copy the file somewhere can be done,
but consider that some database files can be in the GB
range, so for all intents and purposes this might not
be practical.

Before giving up in my attempts to find a stasifactory
answer, I came across this little article:

http://www.netsys.com/sunmgr/1998-03/msg00184.html

Looks promising.  In a nutshell, if a process has a
file open and if another session rm's it, the inode is
still open/avaiable.

Get all users off, shutdown all processes except the
process that has the rm'd file open, crash the system,
come up in single user mode then fsck the system.

Anyway, more details in the above link.

No, I have not tested any of the above.

Having just started a new position I believe it would
be prudent if I refrained from "playing around" on any
systems for a while.  But I will try this out on a
test box eventually and hopefuly, post my results.

--
mohammed

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail