Re: Definition of Top Class DBA

  • From: "Mckay-dirden, Michael (Student)" <mckaydim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Kumar Madduri <ksmadduri@xxxxxxxxx>, Iggy Fernandez <iggy_fernandez@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 23:07:29 +0000

Yeah I've noticed the same. There's a DBA I know with 12+ years "experience"
but I still rate him as being junior level although his position is obviously
Senior DBA now.

I think a problem with it is that most/all companies almost never demote
anyone. The worst that ever happens is a stagnant salary or a job role change
but not going from "Senior DBA" to "DBA" with an appropriate pay cut. I think
if such demotions were more easily enforced then people would be less likely to
rest on their laurels for so long.

Regards,
Mike
________________________________
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 13:07:55 -0700
From: ksmadduri@xxxxxxxxx
To: iggy_fernandez@xxxxxxxxxxx

This has been a great discussion and good learning.
But the original reason why I asked was,  I kind of get upset when even
technical DBAs/technical managers say they need Top DBAs. That too me is kind
of vague. You could be Top DBA where you are but not Top DBA at 'xyz corp'. So
I would rather post for a job with the skills I am looking for rather than
putting unneccesaary adjectives.  The  guy/gal who thinks they are 'Top DBAs'
usually post these postings :)  (other than HR guys of course  and I dont blame
them because they dont have expertise).