RE: Definition of Top Class DBA

  • From: "Freeman, Donald G. CTR (ABL)" <donald.freeman.ctr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx" <oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx>, ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 17:40:54 +0000

Good post, in respect to drama, I might rephrase that as confrontational,
direct, or problem-facing.   Two people can look at that email you are
describing in different ways.   I might call it "Highlighting a Problem' and
you might call it "Rocking the Boat."  Hiring authorities have run out of ways
to say...."Team Player"  and "Great Communicator" when they mean, "Don't make
people cry."    I've been fired from a development team for pointing out
architectural and structural deficiencies in the app we were developing.   You
can't get a coat of paint to stick to a turd either.    I am more suited to
production sites where you can't really sugar coat your way out of a problem.
I don't think I have a reputation for drama.  I email people directly and use
"CC" and "BCC" very judiciously.   It's really all about judgment right?

I find myself at the high-end of mentoring/sharing.   I get very frustrated at
people who blow off a junior DBA or developer who needs help.   Especially
when it comes to "local" knowledge about the specific implementation on the
site that I'm on... the info that you can't possibly get by RTFM.   As far as
learning about things outside the database you are facing a bit more of a
problem.  At least here, there are some pretty strong boundaries between admin
and database groups.   I expect an extra heaping help of resistance and
obfuscation when I cross that domain boundary but, hey, it's part of the job.

Don Freeman