RE: Dbms_refresh and archived logs

  • From: Stephen.Lee@xxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 09:38:15 -0600

Actually, this might not be such a bad idea.  Our databases that get all of
their data by replication (and we're talking lots and lots of replication)
are run in noarchivelog mode.  We run a rows=n export daily and keep the
scripts used to create the database.  In this case, we can rebuild the
database from sources other than a hot backup.  It is not as convenient has
being able to tell rman to restore database, recover database, but we can do
it.  The systems on which these run get hammered very hard and anything to
lighten the load was needed.

If this is not acceptable in your case, one way to reduce the number of
archived logs is to increase the size of the redo logs (snort snort).  Have
you tried using /dev/null as your archived log destination?