Re: Dblink in Oracle10g

  • From: Dan Norris <dannorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bradd Piontek <piontekdd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 13:10:59 -0500

Become user...good point, I wasn't thinking about that.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 18, 2008, at 11:41 AM, "Bradd Piontek" <piontekdd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I should have stated it was my opinion that it seems cleaner to me. I already have DataPump set up on my databases. I believe it would also take care of any 'become user' issues when doing the import rather than having to code 'connect' statements for the private database links. (If there is a better way to do this part, I'd love to see how that is done!!!)

Bradd Piontek
  "Next to doing a good job yourself,
        the greatest joy is in having someone
        else do a first-class job under your
        direction."
 -- William Feather

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 10:34 AM, Dan Norris <dannorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Cleaner how? Seems to me they are equivalent, but #2 takes a lot less setup, no?

Dan

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 18, 2008, at 10:02 AM, "Bradd Piontek" <piontekdd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

You may want to look at how datapump handles this in 10g. If memory serves (queue the Iron Chef music), datapump now uses the same syntax as 'create user identified by values 'HASH');

I see two ways to accomplish this:
1. use Datapump to export the database links.
     PARFILE would look something like this:
              CONTENT=METADATA_ONLY
              FULL=Y
              INCLUDE=DB_LINK

    you can then use datapump to import into your dev database.

2. I did a quick test of this with a database link and it worked.
      select name,userid,passwordx,host from sys.link$;

   I then constructed a create statement:
   I was able to use the link.

I think method 1 is a lot cleaner, however.

Bradd Piontek
  "Next to doing a good job yourself,
        the greatest joy is in having someone
        else do a first-class job under your
        direction."
 -- William Feather

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 7:27 AM, Nagaraj S <nagaraj.chk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Gurus,

I have a requirement. I need to drop all the DB links in the Development database and recreate them as of Production database. How can i do that... Am aware on oracle 9i we can use dynamic script to create dblink by querying sys.link$. How can I over come this in 10g

 Regards,
Nagaraj