RE: Datfiles/logfiles layout

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 10:57:01 -0400

With only two arrays useful separation is a challenge.

You didn't mention where your archived logs go. If you're testing for
throughput without archiving and you plan archiving for production, you will
probably get a pretty big surprise when you turn on archiving. So even if
you don't care about recovery, write the logs and through them away if you
want meaningful measurements. Use the same level of block checking and all
that stuff that you plan to use in production, or else you're not really
testing.

Once you get everything else out of the way and you actually drive an i/o
challenge to disk for inserts, it is usually useful to ping-pong the online
redo logs so that "arch" is reading a different drive than "lgwr" is
writing. While multi-user considerations may mute the advantage, this can
make a big difference if a batch insert is dominating performance
considerations. You need to use a multiple of logs that is divisible by the
available number of locations that have independent throughput (it seems as
if this is two in your case), and you need to create them in order to they
alternate. If the archive destination is one of these arrays, it still may
be okay, since arch will alternate pretty big slugs of read and write when
it is operating on the same array or "stripe set."

You apparently have all your control files on the same array, which is
probably not a good idea. Are you going with a single control file and
relying on multiplexed disks (aka mirrors) when you get to production? Even
in test I would not go with a single control file.

Finally, you *may* find that at steady state there is an imbalance in i/o
signatures between tables and indexes, so you may want a table tablespace
and an index tablespace on each array with the indexes of a given table
counterposed with the indexes for that table. If your total production
layout is as simple as your test, then it looks pretty good otherwise.

mwf