Re: Datapump vs. 9i

  • From: Rodd Holman <Rodd.Holman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Greg Rahn <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 12:33:55 -0500

Greg,

It's a good article with obvious advantages. Issue at hand is that, in addition to the db upgrade I'm also redesigning the underlying tablespace structure for data archival purposes. The current DW is a homegrown monster that started out with no budget and patchwork equipment. It has basically been duct taped and bailing wired together. Think of a "redneck mansion" 5 trailer houses with connecting porches. I'm using this opportunity to rebuild the base, create the tables as empty on the new structure, and then export/import the data. Better, stronger, faster...

Greg Rahn wrote:
Have you considered upgrading to 10.2 and then using cross platform transportable tablespaces?

http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/htdocs/xtts.htm

Regards,

Greg Rahn
http://structureddata.org