Re: Datapump export error

  • From: "Keith Moore" <kmoore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rjamya@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 08:28:14 -0500

One of my DBAs created the parameter file. I didn't even notice it was 10GB
instead of 10G.

Yes, we were using FLASHBACK_TIME and that worked fine. The export completed
after approximately 20 hours and there were no issues with UNDO (which we
watched closely). Space was tight but in the end, there was no need to
compress the files so this became a non-issue.

The issue was that files were accessed (read?) after they had reached the 10GB
limit. In other words, with PARALLEL=8, the first 8 files were created, files
9-16 were created and all were 10 GB but then while writing to files 17-24,
expdp went back and tried to open file # 5 which had already been compressed.

Another lister responded privately that she had seen the same issue where the
"completed" files were accessed again at the very end of the export.

Looks like in 10g Oracle covered all their bases to make sure there was no way
to compress datapump export files (no compress option, no compress to named
pipe, no manual compress) :-(

Keith