Re: Dataguard role switching procedure with active GoldenGate replication - is there a best practice?

  • From: Mark Van de Wiel <mark.van.de.wiel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "dedba@xxxxxxxxxx" <dedba@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 21:58:44 -0400

Tony,

First a few questions:
- Are you using GoldenGate just to replicate from 9i to 11g, or are there other
purposes for which you capture the transactions?
- Is C a standby for B (presumably so since you use "active dataguard standby"
which did not exist for 9i)?
- Are you planning downtime during the switch (or at least a read-only state
for a little bit of time)?
- Is A going away, or do you want to keep it around as a 9i backup production
system?
- will B become an active dataguard standby for C?

Assuming you continue to need the GoldenGate replication environment and will
at least stop transactions on A at some point I would recommend:
1) Stop transactions on A.
2) Let extract on A catch up to current and GoldenGate has several ways to find
out whether you are there.
3) Make sure the replicats on B apply all transactions, so that these get
propagated to C.
4) Switch primary and DR between B and C.
5) Configure extract on C to start as of the switch (which is NOW if the
application has not started performing transactions) - otherwise it is as of
the SCN of the switchover which is somewhere in the data dictionary. Configure
datapump and replicats wherever (you can also do this later).
6) Resume processing against C.

Hope this helps.

Mark.