Dataguard config

  • From: C P <carlospena999@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 14:21:15 -0500

We are thinking of implementing dataguard for several of our production
databases, some in 10g, some in 11g. One of the colleagues is suggesting an
idea of just having one unix server and install several 10g and 11g (11.1,
11.2) oracle homes for different applications and running several standbys
(about 8) out of those oracle homes. The idea according to him is to save
on CPU$ since not all the applications will be down at the same time. It
does not sound like a good idea to me. I am trying to make my case against
it. Some of the potential issues I see is that version mismatch during
upgrades, esp on the OS side, if there is a need to reboot; having a
runaway process in one application will affect all applications, although I
do not see that as a big possibility.
Can the listers share their thoughts on having all standbys in one server.

CP.