RE: Dataguard Licensing

  • From: "Goulet, Dick" <richard.goulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Mark Brinsmead" <pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 08:40:09 -0400

Mark,

            On those points I absolutely agree.  If in doubt take your
license to a lawyer who can understand it.  Or before you install
anything give Oracle License Management Services (LMS) a call.  I've
found them very nice people if you involve them before you cross any red
lines, and even if you have crossed the lines.  The biggest point that
I've seen work very well with Oracle is to ask first.  If your in
violation they will give you both the path back into compliance and the
path to modifying the license to cover what your actually using.  The
most important point is to act in "good faith" otherwise they, just like
Microsoft, will do what they have to to protect their rights.  But
unlike Microsoft their a darn lot nicer about it.

Dick Goulet / Capgemini
North America P&C / East Business Unit
Senior Oracle DBA / Hosting
Office: 508.573.1978 / Mobile: 508.742.5795 / www.capgemini.com
Fax: 508.229.2019 /  Email: richard.goulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
45 Bartlett St. / Marlborough, MA 01752

Together: the Collaborative Business Experience