Re: Dataguard Licensing

  • From: "Mark Brinsmead" <pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Goulet, Dick" <richard.goulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 22:01:16 -0600

Absolutely right.

Anybody could have a license that differs from the OLSA.  It has been my
experience, or at least my *belief*, however, that *most* Oracle customers
are governed by some form of the OLSA.  (Very large customers, however are
less likely to be.)  Okay -- let me be honest, most clients I talk to seem
to have no idea what their licensing terms are...

In any event, while anybody *may* negotiate ammendments to the standard
Oracle contract, they must be executed *in writing* by a duly authorised
officer of Oracle corp.  Somehow, I doubt that most sales reps fall into
that category...

My bottom line on this topic remains unchanged -- if you want to understand
your licensing rights and obligations, there is one and only one valid
source of information: *your license agreement*.  Sadly, there are *lots* of
unreliable sources, and even more sadly, I have found that Oracle sales reps
are sometimes among the worst.

--
Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead