Re: Database tracing

  • From: Tanel Põder <tanel.poder.003@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 21:51:58 -0600

My mistake. Tracing is done for only new seesion that starts after
enabling the trace. I was checking for some quries in the already open
session. It works fine after I started a new session.

Note that when you disable an event using alter system, the existing sessions will still have this event set!

Alter system modifies only system level events and system level events are only used as defaults for initializing events in new processes/sessions. So disabling an event with alter system will not affect existing processes and sessions.

In order to totally disable tracing for all existing sessions, you have to loop through all of them and disable it using similar techniques already mentioned by Brandon.

Btw as you are on 10g, you might want to use dbms_monitor.database_trace_enable/disable. This package doesn't seem to have this issue.

Tanel.