Re: Database recovery problem

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: onkarnath.tiwary@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 12:13:27 +0000

On 09/20/2005 07:55:06 AM, Onkar N Tiwary wrote:
> hi all,
>  We have got one oracle 9i rel 2 on windows 2000 running in no-archive log
> mode.

Well, now you know what archive log mode is for.

> the problem is one of the dba of the other team has deleted some of
> the dbf files while the database was running and tablespace was online.

Kiss it goodbye. Your database is gone with the wind.

> after deleting the file he re-started the database which while opening throw
> error saying that file needs recovery. I was told to do this . I have
> created the dbf files also but while recovering the dbfs using RECOVER
> DATAFILE ' 'D:\DB\ORADATA\BODEV\NMSANDBOX_DATA.ORA'; command its asking for
> the archive files . output is below mentioned :
>

> SQL> recover datafile 'D:\DB\ORADATA\BODEV\NMSANDBOX_DATA.ORA';
> ORA-00279: change 38062424 generated at 05/13/2005 00:52:05 needed for
> thread 1
> ORA-00289: suggestion : F:\ORACLE\ORA92\RDBMS\ARC00397.001
> ORA-00280: change 38062424 for thread 1 is in sequence #397
>

> Specify log: {<RET>=suggested | filename | AUTO | CANCEL}
> I dont know why its asking for the archive files.???

Because it needs them to recover the file.

> Btw the team who is
> owning the database has not taken any backup.

This is great! You don't have any backup and the data is gone!
Recovery is usually done from backup. Don't panic, always have
the Guide and a towel. There will be Heart of Gold, space ship with
an infinite improbability drive, to help you out. It is the only
thing that can do that.

> If anyone has got the problem
> like this , plz. share ur experience so that I can perform this.

Solution can be found by contacting www.dice.com or www.monster.com.
Have your resume ready. In the mean time, learn to play the blame game.
Study Wally's moves, he's the master. More about Wally can be found at
http://www.dilbert.com.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mgogala.com