Re: Database programming standards

  • From: Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 22:19:35 +1000

Niall Litchfield allegedly said,on my timestamp of 4/06/2004 9:45 PM:

No, an EJB  CANNOT be shared between applications in J2EE.  Applications
in an EJB container run in DIFFERENT JREs and CANNOT share an EJB!

Useful info thanks.

I should qualify: so far, I've found this in the following:

Websphere

However, knowing a little bit about how these things are
implemented (containers), I wouldn't be surprised if it was
the norm rather than the exception.
The way out of this conundrum according to the J2EE experts
is to create a messaging interface...

Oh Nuno, you should know better. What you need is an EJB to do the app
specific processing and a web service invoked via soap to handle all
the interapp communications and business rules (J2EE and .Net handled
ther). Put your business rules in a (probably serialized)  web
service, your app specific in your EJB, your data in a black box
RDBMS, your security via an authentication appliance. naturally you'll
need to do all of this with a RAC back end an app server data farm or
even grid. That client server stuff that just worked is so 1990s.

all in XML, of course. And don't forget the XSL to interface J2EE and .Net: it's that easy...

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto