Re: Database perfortmance degraded drastically after upgrading the database from Oracle 102.0.4 to Oracle 11.2.0.3

  • From: Alvaro Jose Fernandez <alvaro.fernandez@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ashoke.k.mandal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ashoke.k.mandal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx" <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 23:03:15 +0000

Hi,

Another issue for a 10g->11g upgrade would be the optimizer cardinality
feedback and (to a lesser degree for us) , the adaptive cursor sharing
features, which are both enabled by default (although I don't remember now if
optimizer_features_enabled=10.2.0.4 effectively disables the cardinality
feedback)

Of the above, the cardinality feedback was really a major pain for us (for a 9i
-> 11g ugrade). Many optimizer plans regressed (the application didn't
properly used bind variables, and the supposedly "intelligent" cardinality
feedback algorithm choosed bad plans for the most important queries). It also
depends on the level of patching of the 11203 release (until a certain level of
patches there were many optimizer bungs related to the two areas above)

You could try disabling the cardinality feedback at least temporarily, via an
"alter session (or system) set _optimizer_use_feedback=false", flush the
shared pool (or if possible for you, rebounce the instance) , and then check to
see the generated plans.

regards,

alvaro