Re: Database info and stats

  • From: Ethan Post <post.ethan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jmirandavigo@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 02:41:32 -0500

Jaun,

What you are looking for probably isn't delivered in a single product,
although it ought to be by now from some vendor. Here is what I do. First
of I have something called a "quick report" which is a single daily email
which tells me only the important stuff for every database and all in a
single email for prod and non-prod for each customer. Things like last
successful backup, # of failed tests in monitoring, # of audit records
produced. It is very short and I can review a lot of databases very
quickly.

Then I have a larger report for each database which I don't actually look
at daily. I consider this my "daily newspaper" so to speak and I can tell
quite a bit about a DB from looking at it. It is quite long but it easy to
go through quickly. I try to review these every few days if I can or every
week/month for some customers. This has a lot of the less critical info
like you have listed.

In general if anything ever pops out to me on either of these reports and I
don't have an alert/monitor/test set up for it then I write one right away
and get it deployed. I find that these reports actually help me write
better monitors and the reports get smaller over time because I know I have
sufficient coverage of the areas which are one the report.

I think you are going to have to write your own here.

Thanks,
Ethan