Re: Database environment change management

  • From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 12:45:22 -0600

Encourage you to look at Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control.

Much of the Cloud Control is already included in your license (at no additional cost, as described at http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E24628_01/doc.121/e24474/ch10_base_functionality.htm#BGBFJBHH).

The 'for fee' Database Lifecycle Management Pack (which replaces the Change Management Pack) adds even more functionality likely fitting your needs, as described http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E24628_01/doc.121/e24474/ch2_db_mgmt.htm#BABCFJHA

In discussing the Cloud Control packs with my customers (I am an independent consultant) I have found the cost can pretty much be justified when you compare to account developing and maintaining your own solution in the - as you say - quickly growing and multi-access (and multi-misinterpretation) environments found these days. Home grown solutions invariably depend on someone maintaining them, and people tend to want the flexibility to change jobs these days.

/Hans

On 05/09/2014 12:07 PM, Stephens, Chris wrote:

What do people use to document changes to Oracle database environments? I mean that in the broadest sense. I’m more concerned with patches / upgrades / changes to configuration files / hardware changes / etc. I’m not really concerned with ddl/dml changes since we’ll do that through auditing. Our environment is growing quickly and the number of hands touching different pieces of the infrastructure is also increasing.

It’s becoming harder to quickly answer the question “What’s Changed?” when a problem arises.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Chris

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by email reply.