Re: Database authentication and Active Directory

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ilmar.kerm@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 15:20:05 -0800

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 1:47 PM, Ilmar Kerm <ilmar.kerm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 11:20 PM, Stefano Cislaghi <s.cislaghi@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> One possible solution:
>
> http://ilmarkerm.blogspot.com/2010/08/authenticate-database-user-against.html

That appears to be a clever idea, though I don't have any way to test it
now.

One big drawback I see after taking a look at the code is that the AD
password
for the user that can read AD is stored in plaintext in the code.  That
probably
would not get past too many security admins.

You should probably consider using some form of encrypted password.
Using an  Oracle Wallet comes to mind, though I can't recall if that is
part of an extra cost option or not.

Jared Still
Home Page: http://jaredstill.com