Re: Database Upgrade/Migration Dilemma

  • From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: RWeiss@xxxxxxxxx, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 23:16:13 +0800

You could "test" the _speed_ of the migration by running the Copy over the DBLink online.
Not really a good indication, particular with updates running and the possibility of ORA-1555s,
but nevertheless you can start with a Proof-of-Concept of a small subset of tables and then
test the larget group of 150 tables.
Use Multiple DB Links to copy tables in parallel.
Rember that you still have to test 10.2 on Linux -- test the application connnecting to 10.2,
test performance of SQLs/Procedures -- all of these because a jump from 8.1.6 (RBO or CBO ?)
to 10.2.0 is a big jump.

However, the production upgrade still does need a stoppage of DML on the source tables.

Hemant

At 01:13 PM Thursday, Rick Weiss wrote:
I just had an interesting and disturbing discussion with damagement and wanted to run this by the DBA Gods that read this list.

We are planning to migrate out production environment from Oracle 8i (8.1.6) on AIX to Oracle 10g (10.2) on Linux. My current plant is to do the data moves (about 150 tables) as CTAS via database links. (are there better options? exp/imp won't go back that far) The biggest kicker came in this afternoon - our Java head wants to do the migration with the application up and accessible.

Hemant K Chitale
http://web.singnet.com.sg/~hkchital

-- //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l