Re: Database Upgradation from 8.1.7 to 9.2.0.7

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: prabhu_adam@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 03:05:29 -0500

On 01/23/2006 02:47:02 AM, Prabhu, K wrote:
> All,
>
> Our client is planning to migrate their OLTP application from Oracle 8.1.7
> to O9iR2. The current database size is 750 GB.
>
> What is the best method to upgrade the database ?
>
> 1. Export/Import full database dump.
> 2. Coping all the 8i control files, data files and creating 9i database on
> new box using the existing files.

If I were you, I'd probably start by reading documentation. Documentation
for upgrading to 9.2 can be found at:
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96530/toc.htm

It's called "migration". In Oracle 10.2, it's called "Upgrade". In the Oracle
RDBMS 11f,
aforementioned here by some esteemed colleagues, it will be called
"Transcending Manual".
Oracle 9.2 has database upgrade assistant which makes your job much easier. I
don't,
however, recommend using the wizard without reading the documentation.
I hope I answered your question to your satisfaction. It is hard to imagine that
you could have found your answer without asking the question on this list.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mgogala.com