Re: Database Storage

  • From: "Jeremy Schneider" <jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Mir M. Mirhashimali" <mhyder@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 14:44:26 -0500

Well it sounds like you've made a pretty big investment in your NAS
solution.  And maybe you made that investment as part of a strategy to
consolidate your storage.  It would be very unfortunate if you couldn't
resolve your problems with the Titan and had to get another system for the
database.  I agree with Mark that you really ought to press Bluearc for some
help and try to keep the system you have.

But regarding other solutions - a majority of the customers I've interacted
with are using SAN solutions for large-scale production databases.  NAS
solutions like NetApp and HP Polyserve are definitely common as well but
personally I've seen more SAN products actually in the field.  Some of the
traditional players are EMC, IBM, Sun, 3par, etc but there are a lot of
great new products on the market too.

Personally I'd recommend an FC or iSCSI based solution with ASM.  It tends
to simplify things a lot and performs very well.  Just my two cents and
maybe some other folks will chime in with differing opinions.

-Jeremy