RE: Database Outages - Best Practices

  • From: "Hollis, Les" <Les.Hollis@xxxxxx>
  • To: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 08:13:55 -0600

>> Table reorgs  (Typically after huge deletes as in a table purge..)

Niall Litchfield responds:
"I'm not necessarily sure I agree with this one either, it maybe that
the cost of the downtime doesn't justify it."

So you purge data, drop a table from 27G to 16G , you're running short
on disk space and reclaim that disk, performance is OK before the
outage.

Reorg a table and get rid of the 'swiss cheese' recover 9G of disk space
(THIS  is in just one table) improve performance by dropping highwater
mark and compressing the extents getting rid of the holes that need to
scanned across and you don't think it is worth a few hours of the
database being unavailable once a year.

Users and management are tickled over the performance improvements
gained by this step. Guess that's all the justification needed.

> ALL databases require periodic maintenance

This I agree with

> Rebuilding indexes

This I don't - but if you are going to do it - do it online without an
outage.=20

> Running in new application code
> Table reorgs  (Typically after huge deletes as in a table purge..)

I'm not necessarily sure I agree with this one either, it maybe that
the cost of the downtime doesn't justify it.

> Tablespace rebuilds

As before. What is the cost of not doing it compared to doing it. In
dollars.=20

I'm interested that you don't include patching the database or os in
your list.=20

--=20
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA