RE: Database Outages - Best Practices

  • From: "Hollis, Les" <Les.Hollis@xxxxxx>
  • To: <stephenbooth.uk@xxxxxxxxx>, <ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:26:54 -0600

We call it a 'maintenance window'...

ALL databases require periodic maintenance

Rebuilding indexes
Running in new application code
Table reorgs  (Typically after huge deletes as in a table purge..)
Tablespace rebuilds

Anytime we go in and manage a client's IT, scheduled maintenance windows
are included.  We may not use every one that is scheduled, but they are
there IF we need them.

Ours happens to be  11:00 PM EST Saturday night until 6:00 AM  Sunday
morning