Database Outages - Best Practices

  • From: "Michael Fontana" <mfontana@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 14:32:31 -0600

I was asked to put together a proposal for regularly scheduled outages to
perform database maintenance.  At this time, my company does not have
scheduled outages, and unplanned downtime is becoming almost impossible to
plan or get approved.

If anyone has a "best practices" document that can be shared or referenced,
that would be greatly appreciated.  I have worked in several top fortune 500
companies, so we are looking to implement policies similar to those.

Keep in mind that my management actually doesn't buy the need for outages AT
ALL.  I will need to do a little selling here.

I would be curious to hear of other company's practices, as well as
vignettes about what one must go through to prepare and implement an outage.